Thursday, June 18, 2009

Something about being with my best friend reverts me back to a careless and slightly childish person in the most enjoyable of ways. On monday my little one headed to her dads house and Vanessa and I crammed all the "adult time" in as we possibly could before she left. This invovled bingo at Sam Bond's, which is cool if you don't mind heinous crowds. It wasn't our thing considering neither of us had gotten much sleep this week. And our original plan was to make strawberry jam all day on Tuesday. Until we woke up on Tuesday morning and she told me about this list she made while recovering from knee surgery about all the things she wanted to do when she was better. How can you not try and make as many of those things happen as possible? One of the items was watch the sunset on the beach while drinking whiskey. Now, I am not much of a whiskey person, but I do like the beach. So just like that we headed to the beach. (We took strawberries with us and made jam at the beach house we stayed at.)



We spent time walking on the beach, a very short time. The above picture was taken just before we stripped coats and jumped into the ocean for a swim. It was wonderful. We made awesome jam, a bitchin dinner, and Vanessa had her whiskey at sunset. Then we headed back out to the beach for shenanigans such as trying this seesaw we found...
and climbing trees, and doing cartwheels and generally just doing whatever came to mind. It struck me mid-cartwheel that I don't do this nearly often enough. Life gets so structured somehow between my daughters schedule and routine, homework, housework and all the other structures within my life that add to a routine and plan being created for my life around me. How joyful to just let go of that all, even if for just two days, and fly by the seat of our pants? I returned home yesterday after a 6am beach departure to babysit for a family needing care during a post-car accident doctors appointment, exhausted to the bone, sore from running on the beach, but feeling more light-hearted, youthful, and happy than I have in a long time. It is so rare that I do these things for myself, as a person, not as mom, and I am proud of myself for beginning to recognize that need and honor it. Besides, how could I resist being a total jack ass with someone so wonderful?

1 comment:

AnnieD said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but your face is so narrow in that last photo that it resembles the face in Edvard Munch's "The Scream."

And jackass. Jackass is one of my favorite words. My dad used to call us a jackass when we were really bad...