Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Morning After

I. Am. Exhausted.

One of the neighbors last night gave all the kids sparklers, and we lit off Em's fireworks for everyone because Emily will be at her dad's on the 4th.

The girls drifted off around 11pm last night, after watching The Wizard of Oz in the princess tent in the living room and the obligatory whisper session of secrets. At one point Emily asked "Mom, do we get to whisper in the tent?"

"Yes dear, it's not a sleep over if you can't tell secrets in the tent!"

I sang them to sleep and collapsed on the couch where I slept until they were up at 6am, and then again at 7am. Somehow that feels so much earlier when there are two children here and one of them isn't mine. Today has been a bi-polar friendship day with bouts of "We're sisters!" and "No-thats mine and I don't want you to touch it!" We went to the park for two and a half hours and as we got home the bickering reached a breaking point in which I banished them each to their own couch for a rest time where they proceeded to wiggle and whisper and bicker some more. I put on some George Winston to no avail. Just when I had given up hope I noticed an odd hush fell over the house. Everyone but me is asleep.

Divine.

No comments: