Saturday, June 20, 2009

On Becoming Physically Fit

I must be doing something right this time around because there isn't nearly as much pain involved. A lot of people have asked me recently "Why the new interest in working out/running/etc.?" And that question is usually followed by the statement "You look just fine..."

Ok people, this has nothing to do with the way I LOOK. If cared enough about the way I look to push myself this hard I may also be caught leaving the house every day showered, never wearing clothes I had worn the day before, and always with my hair neatly in place and make-up perfectly done. As of right now, that has yet to happen. And I am ok with that. And might I add that I think it's a shame that the majority of people seem to think appearance is the only reason to maintain some sort of exercise routine.

My first reason for doing this is my health, which at times in the past has been scary and way below par. I am an asthmatic with allergies. Now these have their secondary health problems as well. Like poor circulation. Last time I got sick I noticed that my legs had a purplish tint. That is not normal. And not awesome at all unless I was going for resembling some sort of star trek-like alien life form. This is due to lack of oxygen and can lead to all sorts of gross things, like tissue death. Gross.

Another reason is that I hate being such a damn wimp. I guess around the time I left my childs father and dealt with anxiety for the first time in my life, and felt emotionally weak I felt motivated to change that, but the thing is, you can't rush recovery from an abusive situation. So I started to try and change what I could, my physical strength and well-being. Most of it centered on relaxation, but to be completely honest, I was so exhausted from trying to be nice to myself and be a good mom by myself that I didn't have the time or energy.

And a third reason is that I get bored really easily. Now that I have these long stretches of time when my daughter is with her father, I find myself getting bored. And when I get bored I become apathetic and lazy. And then I just feel like a slug. The best part of the running part of this new plan is the rush I feel after a run, and the new energy that lasts for hours after a run. I love that I can feel my body changing, breathing better, running longer and faster, I just feel more alive.

It just HAPPENS to be a nice side effect that my legs look less chicken-like as this all progresses.

I just found a yoga routine that centers on abdominal strengthening. Oy. Thats the only sore spot I have right now. There is one exercise where you lay flat on your back and lift your legs into the air, keeping them straight. I did what felt like a million of those yesterday. It also happens to be a part of my warm-ups for my runs, and damn if it wasn't the hardest part today. But, the warm-ups have been doing wonders for the run. I think that is part of the reason i haven't been sore.

Anyhow. I feel good. (Despite being bitter about probably not going to Anne-Marie's solstice party today, lame car troubles.)

No comments: