Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mom blog.

So while I was at AGM I attended a workshop, which I have mentioned a dozen times to anyone who will listen, on spiritual routine in family life. Among the resources recommended was a book title "10 Principles for Spiritual Parenting: Nurturing Your Child's Soul" written by mom and daughter duo Mimi Doe and Marsha Walch, Ph.D. I thumbed through it a little and thought to myself "I have got to get this book..." so that is just what I did. I found a copy at Smith Family Bookstore (what would I do without a totally bitchin used bookstore right here in town?) for a whole six bucks. Sweetness. At the end of each chapter there are a list of activities, meditations, things to ponder, etc. It would make a really great tool for a parents group.

So I read through the first chapter and partway through the second and so far, it is really speaking to me. The only thing I am having a problem with is that there is a lot of God language, which is apparently a word I have some discomfort around. Anyhow, I have decided to put into practice some of the things outlined in this book, so expect to hear a lot more about it.

Also, I am LOVING the fact that I can see signs of Spring popping up everywhere. Em and I have totally been enjoying the bright light and she has taken to chirping and singing with the birds. Today we are going to my favorite natural home and garden store here in town (Down to Earth) to pick out garden stuff and possibly some sort of composter/worm bin. I think Em would truly get a kick out of a worm bin.

In other news, yesterday we had Em's birthday party at the roller skating rink. I had very mixed feelings going into this, all of which were verified throughout the party. Young children at an overcrowded rink full of experienced and speedy skaters equals chaos. But there is one experience that has left me scratching my head. There was a little girl skating with Em and her friends, which I assumed was one of the kids we invited (I admit, I don't know what all her friends look like and some of their parents were handily absent). She sat down and had cake with us and everything. I asked Em later what her name was and she said "I don't know that girl. I have never seen her before!" Later we saw this child with a man. Or rather, saw her following a man around, trying to keep up with him, and as we exited the rink, this little girl was roaming around the parking lot all by herself. She could not have been more than 5 years old. I was shocked at the nonchalance with which this man who was charged with her care watched her walk in front of cars and around parked cars waiting to back out, not saying any words of caution to her. I asked if she was lost and only then did the man speak up that she was with him.

Who does that? I would be terrified to see my little girl carelessly walking in a parking lot, not to mention letting her wander by herself in a crowded skating rink. I wanted to hug her...

No comments: