Friday, March 13, 2009

Operation Eat Better

So lately I have put a bigger emphasis on taking care of myself, for real. I have been working out at least four days a week, not just doing yoga. My energy levels are much higher than before and as a side effect, my metabolism (which was that of a hummingbird to begin with) has also stepped it up and I have found myself constantly hungry. This change has truly highlighted my lack of planning in the food department not only for lunch at school, but in general as well, thus affecting my finances quite a bit. So I setting out to change this.

Last week I joined a co-op and yesterday I picked up my first order of produce from them. Holy cow! Keep in mine this is ALL organic food. I got two bunches of broccoli, two bunches of swiss chard, a leek, a half pound of onions, a pound of oranges, 15 apples (so roughly 5 pounds), a pound of green beans, three artichokes, two bunches of celery, a pound of dill harvarti cheese and a box of mac and cheese for guess how much? $35! I was astounded at the amount of good food we got for so little money. This is the perfect opportunity to start eating better.

So my plan? Fresh fruit/vegetables at breakfast and vegetables at lunch and dinner everyday. I will also be preparing snacks to save me money and keep my blood sugar at healthy levels throughout the day. This weekend I will be making some homemade granola (because having allergies to nuts makes it IMPOSSIBLE to buy granola and granola bars in most stores) to mix with yogurt for breakfast/snacks, a white bean leek soup for lunches and then prepping vegetables for salads, and rice and beans to mix together in varying ways for lunches as well. I am also going to try and record what I am eating for a month to track my progress.

Today, I slept in too late for breakfasty food in my mind, so I started with an apple, walked the dog, then upon returning home made lunch. (It is awesome that I get to start this during a stretch where I will have no school.) For lunch I had steamed broccoli with black eyed peas mixed with some chili oil, black sesame oil and garlic. I also had some harvarti cheese on crackers and an orange. I am headed to a youth overnight so will be eating on the go for dinner. I plan on steaming some green beans, maybe mixing them with some black eyed peas with a dressing my mom makes made out of lime juice, olive oil and maple syrup-I know, sounds gross, but is really good. I will take an apple with me as well.

We will see how this goes! I am excited to see how much money I save. And am giddy about the co-op.

No comments: