Monday, March 9, 2009

Momma Pride

Yesterday as my daughter and I were walking to the bus stop she said "I want a doggy of my very very own momma, let's get one while we are shopping at the mall." (As much as I hate the mall, I must admit that the convenience of being able to have an eye appointment, get new glasses, and pay my phone bill all in one place is quite alluring.)

I explained to her that right now, with my mother and her dog living here, there just wasn't enough room for another dog, but when she moves out we can talk about it. Then the following conversation took place:

Me: But did you know that there is a giant house full of doggies with no homes? They are just living there with no owners, waiting for someone nice like you to take them home.

Em: Yeah! Let's get my doggy there. I bet they are cold and bored too...*sad face*

Me: They are. I am glad you want to get a doggy there so that one of them can have a good home with us.

Em: And I want it to be all mine. I feed it, and play with it, and comb it and take care of it. Hey! I know, I can sell lemonade for toys for all the dogs we can't take home! Is that a good idea momma?

Me: That is a great idea! That would be a really nice thing to do.

Em: But I get to pick them out so they know it was from me!

I am so happy that at five years old, despite the materialistic world that inundates her with messages of greed and money, she is capable of thinking of the needs of other people. It makes my heart smile.

No comments: