Monday, February 22, 2010

Credo Week, day two: What is good, right, true?

WHAT IS GOOD, RIGHT, TRUE?

What values and authorities do I respect and why?
Who do I consider a role model?
What examples do I follow?
Do I base my ethical choices on rules, culture, consequences or something else entirely?
Does human evil exist and if so how so?
How could I change the world to be a better place and what do I do already?
What do I believe about ultimate authority, God(s) and/or Goddess(es)?
Who has the power to decide the truth?


There is plenty in this world that is good, right, and true. Too many people try to define this for everyone else, yet cannot define what it means for themselves when they look within. Maybe this is because when we look within, we have to face the times when we have not chosen what is good, right, and true? I have a special admiration and respect for people who know beyond any doubt what their values are. Or have the courage to evaluate and change accordingly so that they are true to themselves in this moment. I value and respect people who have the courage to broadcast their values to a general public that has no obligation to be joyous or even respectful of those values. I may not agree with another's values, but the fact that they are strong enough in their belief is something I envy at times.

I value those walks of life that take into account their impact on the world around them. I value the kindness and decency of treating others as you'd like to be treated, and I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that what we put out into the universe comes back to us threefold. I respect people who have the mindfulness to be able to see through the exterior that people put up and realize that we are all struggling at times, that what we portray of ourselves on the outside is not the whole person we really are, and that can treat everyone with patience and gentleness. I struggle with this sometimes.

I think everyone is a role model. Not necessarily a good one though. Some people step up to the challenge and responsibility and live their lives as a role model, wearing their values on their sleeves and letting their actions speak for them. Others tend to ignore or not see the potential they have in affecting change, or hide from that responsibility, because it is a huge one to live up to. It requires us to be accountable for our choices and actions in life. It means being able to know and explain why we eat, live, act the way we do. It also means acknowledging and accepting the times when we did not do right by ourselves or others, learning from it, and then incorporating that lesson into who we are. Not everyone is conscious enough of themselves to do this. Who do I see as role models is my life? There are so many. The first three that come to mind are my daughter, for her endless ability to see the magic in life and remember what is good and important. My mother, for her strength she has for others. I have never seen someone sacrifice so much or be so steadfast in times of struggle as she has in my lifetime. She is also a role model to me because she has exhibited that when you sacrifice of yourself too much, that strength becomes a weakness, and through her, I have learned to care for myself. And St. Therese of Lisieux. Her dedication to being happy in order to help others be happy is inspiring. In her book she talks about making a point to feel love for another nun in the convent who she was least fond of, by way of smiling at her always and greeting her with love. I think if we all took time to be nicer to ourselves, those we love, and especially those we don't, the world be a lot more stable.

Does human evil exist? Maybe in the choices that we make. I don't believe that anyone is inherently evil. The idea of original sin is silly to me. We are all a product of our environment and as we grow older we become our own person, and make choices accordingly. We each have to power to make our lives as good, happy, hard, or evil as we choose. To a large extent I feel all of life is a choice for each of us. It is easier to leave ultimate authority to a Diety for some, but when it comes down to standing there deciding to help the person who has tripped in the middle of the street or walk away, I am the only person debating what to do inside of my head. At the end of the day, I may feel my choice aligned with my Great Spirit, or maybe it didn't and it is fuel to try more next time. Ultimate authority rests within ourselves, we choose to give it up to someone or something else, but we have the ability to take control of it. Diety, to me, serves as guidance and gentle support, not ruler and judge.

At the end of the day, truth is decided within me. I live my life based on my intuitions, and so far, the times I have listened to it, it hasn't failed me yet.

No comments: