Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Tides

Life has a way of surging all at once, and a tremendous amount of joy flows in.

My daughter is growing into such an amazing person, and I love that I get to watch her and discover life along with her.

My best friend has spent a good deal of time here with us this summer and it has been so wonderful to have her. We met at youth cons when we were about 15, have never lived closer than four hours away, which is the distance between us now, and sometimes have gone a year or two without being in touch. It is nice that our lives have reached a point in life where we are able to be a bigger and more regular part of each others lives. She has decided after spending so much time down here, that in two and a half years, when she has reached a certain point in her job, she will be moving down here. Yay!




We have a new puppy. Her name is Rosie and she is the cutest thing ever. Now that she has been here for a week we are getting more familiar with each other's rhythms, and its much more harmonious. It has been hard for Emily giving up the vast amounts of one on one time we have together. But all in all, she is a delightful addition to our little family.

But just as the joy rolls in, the tide goes out and in rolls sorrow and pain. Too many of my friends are sick. One has swine flu, another is dealing with the pain of losing her father at the worst but dealing with him being sick at the least (neither good options). Another has just been diagnosed for a second time with melanoma. There are so many people hurting. All at once.

It never seems to come in small waves, but just the big giant ones. At a time in my life where I am realizing how much fear I hold on to, and am trying to let go of, the influx of stress does nothing to help me.

1 comment:

AnnieD said...

Well I'll give you good news: both my mother and I had clean check-ups for breast cancer. Yay!

Cheers, Anne-Marie