Friday, July 10, 2009

Letter to my future 12 year old. #2

Dear Emily,

Today you were dancing, and it struck me again how intense my love for you is. And how fast life is going. You will probably hear this innumerable times in your life, but it feels like you were a newborn nuzzled in my arms just yesterday.

Sometimes it moves so fast that I become afraid of not getting all the essentials done. And I get so wrapped up with meeting those needs that I fear I lend to the speediness of life. I know that in my stress I have hurried your explorations in this world, such as when we were on a walk the other day and you stopped to save a ladybug and I got slightly frustrated. It makes me sad to think that I got frustrated at your honest curiosity and kind heart. The truth is, I love that you do those little things. That you are so naturally curious and happy. I love that you dance, that you make up your own little songs to make me smile. I love that you cuddle in your sleep. Feeling your arm wrapped around me at night has come to be the most comforting sensation I know. I love your confidence in yourself. I love YOU. All of you.

I want to be the mom that lets you explore who you are, and the world around you. Even if it means our walk home from the grocery store takes a little longer and dinner is served a little later. Because when it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter what time we eat dinner, it's that we get to eat dinner together, and that you have the room to be you, and know you are loved for it.

Thank you for being patient with me, and for helping me discover this world through your eyes. I am honored to be your mom.

No comments: