Monday, July 13, 2009

Leaving space for the divine.


So many times in life have I felt like the rest of the commitments or pressures outside of my home were sucking out the spiritual aspect of parenting and putting too much focus on the practical and the "must-do's" like making sure meals are made, baths are given, clothes are washed, play dates are organized, etc. And I let it happen. And I think this is a shame because some of the most magical aspects of being a parent for me have come when sharing with my daughter an experience with Spirit. So, I leave this book by my bed where I see it everyday, and this is a nice reminder to me to not get too bogged down in the practical so that I leave room for the spiritual, divine, and magical. I also pick it up from time to time and read it, which is even better! I get so worried sometimes about crushing the more sensitive parts of my little girls spirit, and this book has provided me much comfort and creativity in honoring the parts of her that are in tune with parts of the world most people don't see. And honoring and getting in touch with those parts of myself.

I believe that I last wrote about my experiences with discomfort in the god language with principle number one, Know that God Loves You. (I have accepted the fact that one of my biggest spiritual tasks is getting over my past experience with "GOD" and getting to know the presences looking out for me in a way that is purely my own.) I think because of this I put the book down for a while. But since getting beyond that principle I am only continually inspired by what this book is saying. It was almost as if Principle #2 catered to the UU in me. It is "Trust and Teach That All Life is Connected" and is something I wholeheartedly believe to be true. And it is a principle that is definitely at work in our home. My daughter spends a good portion of time trying to better the lives of bugs, animals, people, and plants that we see everyday because "if I were a ladybug on the sidewalk Mommy, I would want someone to help me home and not squash me!" And while reviewing the suggested journal ideas and activites to get us more involved with our community, Emily delighted in quite a few of them. Watching her express her concern for the world around her tugs at my mommy pride heartstrings, as well as moves me to help her make the world she will be living in a better place.

Principle #3 has had a most profound affect on me. It is quite simple. And it is something I really strive to do more of. It is simply "Listen to Your Child". What a difference it makes too. Lately, I have made a point to not do any work during the day while Em is home with me because that was the whole reason for not taking any classes aside from online ones this summer, was to give myself the freedom to be with my child, to see the world from her eyes, and discover where that takes us. I realize how impatient of a person I can be when I know that there are things I will need to be doing next, or when things aren't moving fast enough for me, and I believe one of the lessons I have to learn from my child is how to slow down. The other day while laying in bed at rest time, Emily put a hand on each side of my face, looked me deep in the eye and said "Mommy, I love you. And it makes me happy to play with you and not have to wait while you work." These little gems are my child revealing to me her needs, wants and desires. It was a wake up call to the fact that I was unintentionally telling my child that homework came before her. One thing I hope to foster in my relationship with my daughter is an unquestionable respect for each other and the ability to be able to say things like this to each other, now, and as she grows. I plan to re-read this chapter and try some of the suggestions they have for building in "Listening time" to daily routines with children; and also to let the very concept of making room for listening become built into my life. I don't ever want her to feel like she won't be heard when she voices her thoughts.


In following the principles and ideas picked up from this book, tomorrow I will be packing a lunch, some pens and paper, and a blanket and heading out to the arboretum where we have been watching frogs grow from eggs, to tadpole, to full-blown frog, and just taking our time to be together, to watch nature, and to draw or write what ever comes to mind. Emily has been so interested in telling stories that incorporate what she is seeing in the world around her, and I want to give her the chance to process parts of the world outside of the media obsessed world she sees on a daily basis.

No comments: