Thursday, October 15, 2009

A miracle in my garden.


I have been reading this book instead of studying for my anatomy exam and I am loving it. This book goes along with what I want to do with my life so closely, and is inspiring me to get up and grow my garden, make my own cheese and be more sustainable. I can't put it down. There is so much information between these two covers that it is astounding. There is not only the story of a family making a solid commitment to eat only locally grown whole foods for an entire year, but there is an overwhelming amount of information about farm bills, genetic engineering, the evils of trusting corporations to control our food supply and so much more.

And it's all about food! I love food! The last few years I have slowly come to the conclusion that what I really want to be when I grow up is a housewife to my entire community. I want to feed people and care for people. I want to show them how to sustain themselves while caring for the environment and the people that help us along the way. It's a little surprising to me that I crave such a "traditional" path in life. I want to grow my own food, can it or put it up for winter, I want to spend my days making delicious food made from homegrown ingredients, baking bread, making cheese and tending my garden. I want to homeschool my daughter, or at the very least, spend time engaging in these activities and others that reflect a value and respect for the miracles around us. I want to teach people how to eat simply yet vivaciously and deliciously. These things don't feel like work to me, they feel like giving back, something I enjoy doing.

So how do I make that happen? I don't know yet, but I know that someday i will make it happen.

For now, I will continue to curl up on my couch and read this book, and other books about container gardening on my little back porch, about preserving food, about the wonderful hidden pleasures in homemade cheese and bread. I will drink tea, and little by little accomplish each of these things. And it will be blissful and made of awesome.

And I will insist that everyone read this book.

No comments: