Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Story of Going Vegan...maybe.

For some reason saying "vegan" is so much more intimidating than saying "plant based diet" and I can't figure out why. Maybe because in my mind, I think about all the foods I would be cutting out of my diet when I hear "vegan" whereas "plant based diet" is more about adding more plants into my diet and less processed foods and less meat. I haven't decided if I want to completely cut all animal products out of my diet, or if I just want to go for like 80%. And I know I won't be getting rid of the boots or belt that I already own that have leather in them because let's face it, I am too damn broke for that noise!

Why the new preoccupation with a plant-based diet, you ask? Well. I recently decided to be more open to the signs, symbols and opportunities that the Universe was sending my way, because in the past, that has only been a good thing. And in doing so, I realized I am SURROUNDED by veganism. And more than that, I can SEE the differences it has made for the people around me. I also have been given or lended several books and cookbooks lately about cleaner food sources that are better for us, the animals, the environment. I had this moment yesterday of extreme excitement when I realized that in one cookbook I was looking through, I could count on fingers how many recipes involved nuts. (I am allergic to several different nuts in varying degrees and it has always been a huge barrier to considering going vegan in the past.)

Also, and this is where we enter into the TMI zone, if I am being quite honest with myself, dairy and meat give me terrible gas when I eat them. I am slightly sad to admit that the last time I ate my favorite, terrible "meat eater" food (bacon) it gave me horrendous stomach pain. But! I am consoled by how good I CAN feel by some possible changes.

On top of all that, I am plagued lately by an overall sluggish feeling. Having cut out gluten for the most part, and being able to have gauged amazing results from that experiment, I started wondering if a plant based diet would yield further results. I want to be one of those really energetic, active, and happy people and I just can't find my mojo. So...here we go!

Staring February 8th, I am going to gradually wean myself off of animal products by adding in more and more plant based foods. I have decided that I want to do most of my own cooking, to make it cheaper, to cut down on processed foods, and to provide less temptation. I feel that if I really want to see how I feel I need to give it a fair shot, but I am not going to throw out all the food in my house that no longer meets (meats? get it?) my preferences. Again, too broke for that noise.

No comments: