Sunday, August 1, 2010

There are times in my life where the words seems to flow endlessly out of me. Onto paper, into a computer, into someone else, into the air. They never stop. An endless train of consciousness or something like it. An incessant need to try and relate the experience of life in words that never seem to do it justice.

And then there are times when even if I try, no words will come because the emotion has welled up so intensely that the words fall away and all I need is to sit and feel. To observe. To witness. To be. It is in moments like these that my mind stops and my hearts bursts with gratefulness and joy for all that I have been given. Even the struggles are blessings in moments like these.

Summer is passing so quickly. One snapshot after the other in my mind of life the last few months. Emily is growing so fast. She now reads some of the bedtime story, and has lost her first two teeth recently. We have been spending a lot of time at the park playing, and by we, I mean her and her friends. I am the mom sitting on the bench realizing how fast my daughter is hurtling towards the point of not needing me as much as I need her. I find joy in her confidence in life, mingled with a little sadness that I couldn't have slowed it all down and enjoyed it more.

I worry about my mother more and more all the time. And my father. It's funny and discomforting to watch the process as you grow of your parents going from all-knowing, protecting giants to smaller, weaker, more insecure individuals. My father took that fall a lot faster in my eyes than my mom, and for very different, self-created reasons. But my mom, life has battered up and down and she is still there, still treading or moving on. Whether she's smiling or crying she is still living and moving and working towards a better life. I am proud of her. But it's an odd sensation to be on the side of life where I no longer expect shelter from her regardless of my struggles and also feel compelled to shelter and protect her.

I have amazing people in my life, and my mother is among the most amazing. Someday, I will write about her life.

Life is surrounding me with love. Friends that do stupid things just to see me smile, who drive impossible distances to eat ice cream on my couch and color with crayons, friends who throw aside their "adult maturity and pride" to watch stupid movies with me, friends who support me however I may need it in the blink of an eye and unquestioningly. And most recently, a man who will drive over in the middle of the night and bring me ice cream and sit up with me after I have eaten something I am allergic to, just so I don't panic about being alone if something really bad happens, who tells me how incredible he thinks I am, and who will do goofy things with me just for the sake of being silly and assinine.

I am working with my first client, and it's very awesome. Some Great Spirit is throwing me spiritual experiences left and right to pry open my eyes, my heart, my mind. My dog intuitively knows when to cuddle and when to give me space. My kitchen is full of food, my house is full of love.

Life is SO very good.

No comments: